Friday, January 30, 2015

Until forever

I woke up today feeling a little bit older.  Last night, my last pet of my childhood passed away. The last reminder of my youth.  He was a lucky old fella to have lived to be 15 years old. He was black as night and he had the head of a lab and the body of a basset hound and white paws spotted like oreo cookies.  I remember the day we got him like it was yesterday. Edwin and I had been dating for nearly a year and his birthday was coming up. He loved to hunt and wanted him a yeller huntin dog. I scanned the classified adds and found one. My mom and brother came with me to get this yeller huntin dog.  We found the yellow hunting dog and while we were there my momma fell in love with this mutt dog. The mutt dog and huntin dog both had the same daddy but different mommas. They were born just a couple days apart. My momma was having baby fever and sad because we were growing up. I was a senior in high school and my little brother was a freshman.  So we scooped this mutt dog up in our arms and brought them both home.  Once we arrived home I called Edwin to come over to my house. I sat him outside under the patio and went inside to get his huntin dog. But instead I brought out this spotted knot headed mutt dog. My sweetheart looked at the dog and he looked at me. You could tell he was trying to be grateful but deep down he was heartbroken that this little pup wasn't possibly going to be a hunting dog. Then I went inside and brought back out this tiny frail yellow lab. These pups were the best of friends for quite a while. We named them Brutus and Andy.
 The day we got Andy & Brutus

    They would chase after and play with our other dog, Chucky. Andy tried to nurse poor Chucky. :)

 Over time the yellow lab, Brutus, got too big to come for visits. He was a beast of a dog. He pulled Edwin down one day when they went for a walk. Andy was quite the opposite. He was as fat as a pot bellied pig. He waddled like a penguin and loved his new buddy Chucky. These 2 were the best of friends. They were like Milo and Otis and stuck together.  Sadly Chucky passed away a little over a year ago and sweet little Andy hasn't been the same. He passed away last night. My mom called my brother and I and we went over there. There was a brisk wind but not too cold. I feel that pets go to heaven and couldn't help but looking up at the black windy night sky and closing my eyes to see Andy, Chucky and Brutus running and playing in the greenest field that was as wide and long as the sea. Hug your pets a little tighter today because you just never know when their time will come. People who don't have this bond with a pet don't understand the void it leaves you. We don't want our pets to suffer but we will miss them greatly.  Until forever sweet friends.. Until forever
                                                   
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment